Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM)
Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM) promotes the mathematics education community and supports educators in implementing the Common Core State Standards through the Mathematical Practices.
Strategic Action Plan
- Stimulate and foster interest in the learning of mathematics in instructional strategies, best practices and effective and appropriate assessment tools.
- Provide guidance for the teaching of mathematics and learning.
- Encourage and support educators in the process of implementing current mathematics standards as envisioned by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Support and achieve diversity and equity within the Oregon mathematics education community.
- Develop and encourage leadership and service in the mathematics education community.
- Develop and maintain communication and coordination of services between OCTM and related educational organizations, Oregon Department of Education, public agencies, and private sector agencies.
- OCTM started in 1939 as Portland Council of Teachers of Mathematics and changed the name in 1943 to Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Each year we host a gathering of teachers interested in mathematics at Oregon Math Leaders.
- We share hosting of Northwest Math Conference with British Columbia and Washington. We hosted NWMC this last October in Portland.