Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM)
Western US 2
Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM) promotes the mathematics education community and supports educators in implementing the Common Core State Standards through the Mathematical Practices.
Strategic Action Plan
- Stimulate and foster interest in the learning of mathematics in instructional strategies, best practices and effective and appropriate assessment tools.
- Provide guidance for the teaching of mathematics and learning.
- Encourage and support educators in the process of implementing current mathematics standards as envisioned by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Support and achieve diversity and equity within the Oregon mathematics education community.
- Develop and encourage leadership and service in the mathematics education community.
- Develop and maintain communication and coordination of services between OCTM and related educational organizations, Oregon Department of Education, public agencies, and private sector agencies.
- OCTM started in 1939 as Portland Council of Teachers of Mathematics and changed the name in 1943 to Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Each year we host a gathering of teachers interested in mathematics at Oregon Math Leaders.
- We share hosting of Northwest Math Conference with British Columbia and Washington. We hosted NWMC this last October in Portland.