News from the Eastern 2 Region
Sue Vohrer, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Thinking about… summertime! That wonderful time of year for crab feasts and cookouts! Last year, I suggested that you take time for the Art of Doing Nothing so you can revitalize your mind and soul. I still think that is a great idea.
While you are relaxing, take some time to read the NCSM Newsletter. It is chock full of interesting information including
- The President’s Leadership message
- Summer Reading ideas from all the Regional Directors
- Summer Leadership Academy in Madison, Wisconsin: Building Math Leadership: Coaches as Agents of Change for ALL Learners (July 22-24)
- Annual Conference in Chicago March 30-April 1 2020
Speaking of summer reading, Robyn Jackson of Mindsteps talked about a novel idea in her most recent podcast: read non-educational books as a way to grow your leadership. Robyn suggested 5 books that caught her eye for their implications for leadership. Here are two that sounded interesting:
- The Road Less Stupid – Advice from the Chairman of the Board by Keith Cunningham. This book focuses upon the idea that Thinking Time is critical to sustained success. The author provides insight on the why and how to use Thinking Time effectively.
- Culture Wins: The Roadmap to an Irresistible Workplace by William Vanderbloeman. The author contends that building a contagious culture is vital for sustaining growth in the organization (aka school or classroom!)
Stay in Touch – Your Eastern Region 2 Team Leaders
I am so excited to welcome Annie Fetter to our team of Regional Team Leaders! Annie has been very active with NCSM and will represent Pennsylvania. As you may know, Annie originated the "Notice and Wonder" strategy, worked with the Math Forum, and is all about sense-making in math! We are so happy to have The Notice and Wonder Woman on board with us!
- Delaware: Crystal Lancour () and Jamila Riser (
- Maryland: Ed Nolan () Andrew Todd () Amanda Salveron ()
- New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
- Pennsylvania: Annie Fetter ()
- Washington DC: Michael Barnhart ()
- West Virginia: Cindy Burke ()
Awards & Grants: Don’t miss these amazing opportunities!
- Kay Gilliland Equity Lecture Award Deadline: October 1, 2019
- Ross Taylor / Glenn Gilbert National Leadership Award Deadline: November 1, 2019
- Teacher-Leader Professional Learning Grant (PK-12) Deadline: November 2, 2019
- Iris Carl Travel Grant Deadline: December 1, 2019
Have a wonderful summer! More information to come for fall conferences!
All the best,